FIFA World Cup 2014 - Brazil

Lateralus
Super Sub
Super Sub
Supports: Aston Villa

FIFA World Cup 2014 - Brazil

Post by Lateralus » 4 years ago

The official World Cup Qualification games are over since last night.
Next monday the European playoffs will be determined and there are a bunch of teams that already qualified for the World Cup next summer in South America. The African playoffs have already been determined and already played one game. There are two intercontinental games taking place where the winner will get a "ticket" for the world cup.

Teams that have already qualified
Argentina, Australia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Germany, Ecuador, England, Iran, Italy, Japan, Columbia, Netherlands, Russia, Switzerland, Spain, South Korea and the USA.

European teams going into the playoffs
France, Portugal, Sweden, Iceland, Romania, Ukraine, Greece and Croatia

African teams going into playoffs
Burkina Faso, Algeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Tunisia, Ghana, Egypt

Intercontinental Playoff:
New Zealand v. Mexico

Intercontinental Playoff:
Urugay v. Jordan

I think it may already be time to discuss the world cup as it is "only" 8 months away. Who do you think will make it in the playoffs, who will go to Brazil and who do you think will win the world cup?

We are now in the final stages of the qualification round and we will soon know who will compete in next years world cup.

PSN: SatyrChuck

This. Is. PROGRESS.

Shales
Supports: Arsenal

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014 - Brazil

Post by Shales » 4 years ago

My only real wishes for the qualifiers is for Portugal to go out and Cameroon to make. I have always had a soft spot for Cameroon since World Cup 90. I was 9 at the time and that was the first major tourney that I watched. It still remains my fave.

If my history is correct, an "Americas" team has always won the WC when hosted in "americas". So I think it's a reasonable prediction to say it will happen again. Brasil will probably do well even though they ain't as strong as they have been, but I might go for the Argies.

My prediction will probably change though once the groups/knockout format is decided.

Should be a great WC though : )
XBL: SKULLxBURGER
PSN: SKULL_BURGER
Twitter (I only tweet about PES): PES_DNA

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend
Supports: OPE

Post by Seabass » 4 years ago

Glad England made it through last night. Not the most of convincing string of performances in a relatively 'easy group' but still happy we got the job done. Just a shame that I (and 99% of the population) won't be able to afford to actually go to Brazil next summer. Would have absolutely loved it! :(
Join me in the Football Forum!

Lateralus
Super Sub
Super Sub

At least England made it. Playoffs would have been hard I guess. Now they have 8 months of preparation ahead of them in order tu build a real team. I have to say that England does have really great players and I see a change in generation here but they need to be a unit, a team and not just eleven players with good individual class. Once they manage to be that I would say that England can be a real force to be reckoned with.

I really hope that Spain doesn't come that far. If they are out of tournament in an eraly phase, we will for sure have a new world champion. Getting kind of tired of seeing Spain win. I mean they deserved it, that is for sure. But it is getting boring :D

In my opinion, the world has to watch out for Belgium. That is a world class team. And I think they have the potential to surprise us next year.

This. Is. PROGRESS.

Shales

Post by Shales » 4 years ago

Colombia are my Dark Horse team

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

Shales wrote:Colombia are my Dark Horse team
Definitely worth sticking a few quid on a few South America teams. Uruguay, Argentina and Brazil are my top 3... with Columbia not too far behind.

Lateralus
Super Sub
Super Sub

I am not that sure about Urugay though. Hasn't been their best qualifying round. I would stick with Argentina and Brazil. Also Spain is never to underestimate.

The groups will be drawn on December 6th by the way.

This. Is. PROGRESS.

Lateralus
Super Sub
Super Sub

Playoff-games have been drawn today:

Portugal - Sweden
Ukraine - France
Greece - Rumania
Iceland - Croatia

Games will be played on November 15th and November 19th.

This. Is. PROGRESS.

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

Portugal - Sweden should be a cracker. Ronaldo against Ibrahimovic... battle of the arrogance! ;)

Flash11
Regular
Regular
Supports: PES ARMY

Post by Flash11 » 4 years ago

Pressure is on brazil, there home crowd expects them to win it easy. Which could either help them or hinder them with the pressure being to much to a lot of there squad who will be debutants at a competition like the world cup. Argentina aint a bad shout either, really depends what kind of mood messi is in for the few weeks, If they win will he be undoubtedly the best player of all time ?

Columbia and chile are going to be the two dark horses especially since it being in south america.

Its tough for me to choose who i want to see more Ronaldo or Ibra, but in my opinion it wouldn't feel right if Ronaldo wasn't at it. I think portugal are stronger and should get through over two legs

Lateralus
Super Sub
Super Sub

Flash11 wrote:Pressure is on brazil, there home crowd expects them to win it easy. Which could either help them or hinder them with the pressure being to much to a lot of there squad who will be debutants at a competition like the world cup. Argentina aint a bad shout either, really depends what kind of mood messi is in for the few weeks, If they win will he be undoubtedly the best player of all time ?

Columbia and chile are going to be the two dark horses especially since it being in south america.

Its tough for me to choose who i want to see more Ronaldo or Ibra, but in my opinion it wouldn't feel right if Ronaldo wasn't at it. I think portugal are stronger and should get through over two legs
Totally agree here. I think in the group stage the crowd will push them so they will win their group. But after that the whole country will expect them to win it.
Was the same with Germany in 2006 I think (though their squad was not as good as it is today, but still).

If Messi and Argentina would win the world cup, he will be immortal and yes, the best player of all time.
He has won everything in his life except the grandest cup of them all.

And Ronaldo vs. Ibra is a tough one. But I think Portugal will beat them and Ronaldo goes to the world cup. I feel it would not feel right without Cristiano and his team. Either way, one great team will make it to Brazil.

This. Is. PROGRESS.

itstroff
Regular
Regular

Post by itstroff » 3 years ago

France....qualify by the skin of their teeth, kick up a fuss about not being seeded despite being dreadful in their last two tournaments and still get drawn in the easiest group.

Shales

Post by Shales » 3 years ago

Not good for England hey? Costa Rica will be tricky. Joel Campbell will tear us apart ; )

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

Post by Seabass » 3 years ago

A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia
C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan
D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy
E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras
F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria
G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA
H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

A tough group for us Englishmen but you have to beat the best to be the best. Standout games include Spain v Holland (replay of the 2010 Final), England v Italy, Germany v Portugal and USA (Klinsmann) v Germany. :-D

Bring it on! :great:

Flash11
Regular
Regular
Supports: PES ARMY

Post by Flash11 » 3 years ago

Hmmmmm Argentina and Brazil seem to get the easiest groups and if they both top there groups and go all the way they would meet in the final. Not suspicious one bit :)

Im still sticking with one of those two purely for the home support other contenders are your usuals Germany and Spain.

Dark horses could be Uruguay and Ivory Coast.