Barclays Premier League - 2013/14

JCFast
Regular
Regular
Supports: Chelsea FC

Re: Barclays Premier League - 2013/14

Post by JCFast » 3 years ago

Crazy yeah. :D

Now it's all in Chelsea's and Liverpool's hands. Wow. And Arsenal has that 4th spot in theirs again. But in all fairness, maybe a valiant effort at Europa league might suit Everton better... :D

"I'm not the best in the world, but I don't think anyone is better than me." - Jose Mourinho

Shales
Supports: Arsenal

Post by Shales » 3 years ago

It'll be interesting to see what Everton do next year. They are in a bit of a false position because a few of their stand out players are loans. I don't see them signing Lukaku and don't see him going on another loan. They might get Barry and who knows about Deulofeu. Distin is aging, so I see them needing to sign a good number of players. But what sort of budget do they have? Things have always been a bit tight. If they do end up in the Champs League or Europa then they are going to need many more players. Should be an interesting summer for Everton. Will they cash in on Baines to grab some extra money?
XBL: SKULLxBURGER
PSN: SKULL_BURGER
Twitter (I only tweet about PES): PES_DNA

JCFast
Regular
Regular

Shales wrote:It'll be interesting to see what Everton do next year. They are in a bit of a false position because a few of their stand out players are loans. I don't see them signing Lukaku and don't see him going on another loan. They might get Barry and who knows about Deulofeu. Distin is aging, so I see them needing to sign a good number of players. But what sort of budget do they have? Things have always been a bit tight. If they do end up in the Champs League or Europa then they are going to need many more players. Should be an interesting summer for Everton. Will they cash in on Baines to grab some extra money?
Yeah good questions there. Lukaku probably not, Chelsea will have to get too much money in return. Deulofeu maybe, or maybe not even him if that Barcelona transfer-ban sticks. Barry sure, but weren't there rumours that Everton would want Rodwell back from City as well hehe. And then Traore, well no idea if he could have been good for Everton or not since the crosses have been a bit poor like last night. :-D

But then what to do. Martinez has "big plans" for Baines though with that whole "I'll make you our Philipp Lahm" thing so maybe they won't try to cash out on him, and the fact he's been a bit off this season so the price might have dropped a bit. However, Martinez has said he saved the transfer kitty in January for the summer so that could mean a makeover, or alternatively just one or two impressive signings. They might cash in on Barkley and Stones though? Imagine getting like 50m£ for the pair... Could do wonders for the future of Everton, if they spend it wisely and are able to find top players like Atletice Madrid for example with from Torres -> Aguero -> Falcao -> Diego Costa.

And who could they get? They most likely won't end up in the Champions League after all, which'll lower their chances of getting players like Lukaku... But definitely they need one more top center-back in any case. Depending on if Barry will stay or not, an experienced midfielder. Maybe a better winger even if Deulofeu stays. But definitely new strikers, one or two. Don't think Arouna Kone will do wonders even when he'll get fit.
"I'm not the best in the world, but I don't think anyone is better than me." - Jose Mourinho

Flash11
Regular
Regular
Supports: PES ARMY

Post by Flash11 » 3 years ago

Game, set and match in my opionin and it kills me to say it but liverpool are as good as champions now, But to be fair they do deserve it after the hunger and desire there after showing in the last few weeks. Even if City beat West Brom tonight i still think its going to Anfield

Pete Evo
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain
Supports: Leyton Orient

Post by Pete Evo » 3 years ago

Chelsea must win at Anfield this weekend, if them or Man City are going in for a late steal. But with Chelsea going for the Champions League, I can't see this happening. Like they have done all season, Liverpool will have a huge advantage of playing just once per week.

Speaking of Man City, they're currently 3-1 up and playing well against West Brom. I expect they'll hold on, making this weekend's clash in Liverpool that little bit more exciting. :-D

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend
Supports: OPE

Post by Seabass » 3 years ago

David Moyes sacked. Ryan Giggs to take over as interim manager until the end of the season.

Can't say I'm surprised. Man United have been beyond shocking this season. I can't help but feel sorry for Moyes though, I don't think his players, mostly Rooney and van Persie, gave their all. But I guess that what happens when you pay players £250,000 a week. :/
Join me in the Football Forum!

Pete Evo
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

I guess it was only a matter of time really. I actually feel sorry for him too... until I realise how much he'll get in his severance package. £4.5m apparently! (crazy)

Shales

Pete Evo wrote:I guess it was only a matter of time really. I actually feel sorry for him too... until I realise how much he'll get in his severance package. £4.5m apparently! (crazy)
I wonder when we will see him next? Spurs? Realistically he'll end up at a club that is now beneath Everton. What a bad 12 months it's been for him. Almost as if all those years at Everton have gone to waste.

I can't see him in charge of Spurs though. That one just don't feel right. Perhaps he will enjoy his money for a while.

Perhaps he could get the Everton job again in a year if Martinez moves on. That wouldn't be that crazy.

Pete Evo
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

To be honest, the next person to take on the role if they're given a bucket load of money... which of course will definitely happen. Likewise with the players, they'll go on about the 'history' and 'ambition' of the club but at the end of the day, the most important thing will be the wages.

£50k a week with the Champions League or £150k a week with no Champions League. I know which team I'd rather play for! :twisted:

JCFast
Regular
Regular

Yup, money money moneeeyyy. I personally never really liked Moyes for the job, he just lacks that "ooomph" a top manager should have. And he was handsomely paid to be that, a top manager, not just a manager. So don't feel bad for him.

In all seriousness, Moyes didn't ever seem like a genius tactician, who just "lacked the money to buy the necessary players in Everton". He had no vision or ambition in his style. According to the rumours, and what you could guess yourself, his training methods are nothing special either. Always apologizing and bringing down the hype. He was a realist. Something that just doesn't work at top flight football, where it's all about winning or not winning. Wenger is the exception to the rule. :D Not that he has actually won anything in a long time, but still...

And I don't see any charisma in Moyes. He's just another of us, another bloke just working hard and playing fair and reaching the bureaucratic dream of getting to the top through slowly building up his merits. He doesn't excite me, I don't know if he can excite the players either. Which is what Rooney needs to be worth that 300 000£ a week, we so often see him drift away to the level of a squad rotation player.

He's an ok manager, which would be ok for an ok team. But Manchester United needs a bit more than just ok. They need a manager with more balls, someone nobody will feel sorry for if they see him fail.

Got to say, at least my interest in Manchester United went up a lot now. Can't wait for the summer shenanigans they'll pull off during the summer to get a squad and a manager for the next season! :twisted:

Shales

JCFast wrote: Got to say, at least my interest in Manchester United went up a lot now. Can't wait for the summer shenanigans they'll pull off during the summer to get a squad and a manager for the next season! :twisted:
The summer is going to be huge. If Van Gaal gets the job then he's not going to officially come in until after the WC. Utd probably need more than £150 million to spend too. In my view these are the players that need rid of/replacing/pushed further back from the starting XI

Evra
Rio
Vidic (going anyway)
Cleverley
Fletcher
Young
Kagawa
Nani

By selling that lot, I don't see them re-couping tons and tons of cash. Then what about the likes of Rooney and RVP, do they want CL football? I reckon RVP does considering he hasn't won it. Hernandez is currently unhappy, will he want to leave?

It should be fun to watch : )

(I am not a Utd fan so what I've said above could be considered a huge heap of garbage)

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

But even selling van Persie could be a problem. He's injury prone enough already and with him turning 31 in August his problems will only get worse. Injuries aside, he's been pretty average this season anyway, the same can also be said for Rooney.
Shales wrote:Evra
Rio
Vidic (going anyway)
Cleverley
Fletcher
Young
Kagawa
Nani
Add Rafael, Buttner and Fellaini (not good enough), Hernandez (wasting his career sitting on the bench) and Welbeck (belongs at Sunderland).

Same could also be said about their loanees too. Bebe, Macheda, Zaha and Anderson. Looking at it they will have to spend a small fortune if they want to get back into the Champions League, assuming none of the current top four collapse next year. That's just my opinion anyway. ;)

Shales

Seabass wrote:But even selling van Persie could be a problem. He's injury prone enough already and with him turning 31 in August his problems will only get worse. Injuries aside, he's been pretty average this season anyway, the same can also be said for Rooney.
Shales wrote:Evra
Rio
Vidic (going anyway)
Cleverley
Fletcher
Young
Kagawa
Nani
Add Rafael, Buttner and Fellaini (not good enough), Hernandez (wasting his career sitting on the bench) and Welbeck (belongs at Sunderland).

Same could also be said about their loanees too. Bebe, Macheda, Zaha and Anderson. Looking at it they will have to spend a small fortune if they want to get back into the Champions League, assuming none of the current top four collapse next year. That's just my opinion anyway. ;)
I'd take RVP back at Arsenal for no more than 10m. Don't like the guy for leaving after only giving us 1 full season but if he got down on his knees and begged, i'd forgive him.

And by the sounds of things, there is no better time than now to have a serious go at re-signing Cesc. Yes please.

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

Massive weekend this, for both ends of the league. Everton lost at Southampton yesterday so Arsenal should all but confirm 4th place by beating Newcastle tomorrow night.

Meanwhile Chelsea travel to Anfield this afternoon in the biggest game of the season. Mourinho suggested he'll play a weakened team which, given the magnitude of the game, I just can't believe. Even so I can't see anything else other than a Liverpool victory. I'm going for a 3-1 home win.

At the other end of the spectrum, Sunderland are currently beating Cardiff (who have 10 men :? ) 2-0 in today's early kick off. If the Mackems can hold onto this, Cardiff will be bottom with just two games to go. Fulham 19th, Norwich 18th and for the first time in ages Sunderland will be out of the relegation zone.

JCFast
Regular
Regular

Seabass wrote:Massive weekend this, for both ends of the league. Everton lost at Southampton yesterday so Arsenal should all but confirm 4th place by beating Newcastle tomorrow night.

Meanwhile Chelsea travel to Anfield this afternoon in the biggest game of the season. Mourinho suggested he'll play a weakened team which, given the magnitude of the game, I just can't believe. Even so I can't see anything else other than a Liverpool victory. I'm going for a 3-1 home win.

At the other end of the spectrum, Sunderland are currently beating Cardiff (who have 10 men :? ) 2-0 in today's early kick off. If the Mackems can hold onto this, Cardiff will be bottom with just two games to go. Fulham 19th, Norwich 18th and for the first time in ages Sunderland will be out of the relegation zone.

What do you know. Good old Jose. Amazing how well they can park the bus, becoming an art form really, albeit a tad bit boring one. Not that the game wasn't exciting! And City turning up the heat. Wow what a finish we'll have! :-D