UEFA Champions League [2013/14]

Pete Evo
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain
Supports: Leyton Orient

UEFA Champions League [2013/14]

Post by Pete Evo » 3 years ago

The Champions League returns tonight! :-D

PSG travel to Bayer Leverkusen but the standout game for most people will be Man City v Barcelona. I'm going for a 2-0 away win for PSG and then a 1-1 draw at the Etihad.

Shales
Supports: Arsenal

Re: UEFA Champions League [2013/14]

Post by Shales » 3 years ago

Man City 2-1 is 10/1 on SkyBet. I might go for that.

Then I'll go for a 2-1 PSG
XBL: SKULLxBURGER
PSN: SKULL_BURGER
Twitter (I only tweet about PES): PES_DNA

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend
Supports: OPE

Post by Seabass » 3 years ago

When you have all the money in the world, why would you even consider buying Demichelis?! Seriously, they should get points deducted! :-D
Join me in the Football Forum!

Shales

Seabass wrote:When you have all the money in the world, why would you even consider buying Demichelis?! Seriously, they should get points deducted! :-D
Yeah the chap cost me a fiver lol.

JCFast
Regular
Regular
Supports: Chelsea FC

Post by JCFast » 3 years ago

Seabass wrote:When you have all the money in the world, why would you even consider buying Demichelis?! Seriously, they should get points deducted! :-D
In the defense of the poor sod, his WhoScored ranking for this and the previous season actually outplay even Vinny Kompany himself. Based on systematic ranking, he's the best central defender of the quartet City has. Of course he is known mostly now for his hmm shall we say "risky" tackles. :-D

But yeah the whole saga with him was a bit weird. Going to Atletico for free, then a few million quid transfer to City right after. I guess Pellegrini needed a quick fix, and of course looked mainly at the players he knew already, who'd be experienced and easily available, because most of the money was used probably for the other players already.

Then we know that Kompany is going to play as a first choice. Now who shall he be partnered up with? Lescott has been sort of forgotten, and well not much more reliable than what Demichelis could be. Nastasic is still promising, but he needs maybe rotation come the big games. Now signing a top experienced player, someone to match Kompany, would be a clear sign to Nastasic, and even Rekik who has been playing well on loan, that they're not really needed for nothing else but rotation. Let alone for any next summer signings, such as Mangala, who they've been after.

In my opinion Demichelis was a smart choice. And I kind of like his risky playstyle, it's flashy, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but he brings a bit of fire on the pitch, a bit of worry for the opposition. But maybe that whole shamble ofplaying him on the midfield was too much and messed his game a bit, reminds me of Jose playing Pepe on the midfield... Sort of like Luiz on the midfield... Have those ever really worked? :lol:

But for tonight's games! I'm envisaging an Arsenal surprise! 2-1! Woo, in your face Pep's ballet! Then the other game, hmm, maybe 1-1 or something boring like that. The usual suspects scoring, Balotelli and Costa. (y)
"I'm not the best in the world, but I don't think anyone is better than me." - Jose Mourinho

Pete Evo
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

JCFast wrote:In the defense of the poor sod, his WhoScored ranking for this and the previous season actually outplay even Vinny Kompany himself. Based on systematic ranking, he's the best central defender of the quartet City has.
I can't trust WhoScored then. Do they also say that with systematic ranking, David Moyes is the league's best manager? :great:. To be fair to Demichelis though, he wasn't brought in to start every game. I bet even he can admit he's sometimes playing out of his depth.

Speaking of stats, Man City seem to be struggling at home without Aguero. Losing against Bayern and Chelsea without scoring any goals. Yaya Toure looks well off the pace lately as well which should be a big concern for them.
JCFast wrote:I'm envisaging an Arsenal surprise! 2-1!
14/1 isn't bad. I think Arsenal are capable of a score draw but they'd need something special to get a win. But after all, this is football... you never know. ;)

Shales

Let down by giroud, ozil and wenger tonight. Giroud needs a proper good slap for this off the field antics. The chap needs to realise he represents a massive football club and he's let millions of people down. There's time for this shit after he's finished playing. Hope he's feeling pretty low right now. I don't care about this personal life, he's personally let me down as a supporter. The chap better give us fans a massive apology.

Ozil, where do I start. The c**t needs a slap too. Seriously, what the hell is going on. Is he such a wimp that he can't step up and sort his shit out? No where to hide at arsenal, we don't have 4-5 galaticos to hide behind. If he gets behind any set piece in the coming weeks the other players need to grab the ball from his hands. If he don't perform against Sunderland then he has to be dropped. This is the case of when the manager picks his son every game even though he's dog shit. I couldn't care that he cost 43 mil.

Wenger - hope the f***er is hating himself for not buying a striker of any decent calibre. Champs league knock out phase is not the place to give a 21yr old champs league debut as a lone striker.

Edit - actually sanogo might have featured in the first champs league home match but you get what I'm saying.

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

I thought Sanogo did well but Ozil had a disappointing game again. His head just wasn't there after the penalty miss though. But what a start for Arsenal though, just a shame the ref had to send Szczesny off. I think a penalty and yellow card would have been fair. Arsenal were unlucky with the decision especially after such a good start.

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

Crazy result for Man United last night. Although the second goal was an absolute beauty, it was an awful performance. Olympiakos are probably one of the weakest sides in the competition but they made them look so average. I've always been a fan of Moyes and I'm gutted for him right now. His players aren't helping him out either, £500-a-week up front and Van Persie nor Rooney seem that bothered anymore! :roll:

Shales

I really can't get my head around Utd this season. I know they have an aging core (Vidic, Rio, Carrick) but this Utd team just don't seem to want to play for Moyes. They give it the big talk before the game but then just don't play on the pitch. Each bad result still amazes me where I should be expecting these now. I keep saying to myself that Utd will sneak a Champs League place but the current top 4 are not really consistantly dropping points. Utd play Liverpool home in a few weeks, that is a huge game. If they do not take 3 points from that one then they are 5th at best.

RVPs comments after game shows signs that he's pretty frustrated. He only made 13 passes last night. That is crazy.

A lot of talk about him returning to Arsenal in the summer. Part of me wants him back because he's unbelievable, but he's not going to be welcomed back by the fans (initially). He jumped ship when Arsenal were not progressing and if he jumps from Utd after a bad year then that just shows his lack of commitment.

Shales

The Drog is 12/5 anytime goal scorer tonight. I've chucked a 5 on

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

Shales wrote:The Drog is 12/5 anytime goal scorer tonight. I've chucked a 5 on
Shame it didn't come off for you mate. Although he did play well, winning every single header that came near him :shock: , I thought it was inevitable that he was going to get one against his old club and manager. :-D

Shales

I'll probably go chasing that 5er in the return leg ; ) I'm a big fan of betting on players against their old club. Bigger stage at the bridge, bigger odds ; )

Pete Evo
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Decent game last night. Bayern looked comfortable for most of it but Arsenal gave them a good game. As a neutral though, the tie was kinda ruined once Chesney was sent off in the first leg. Had the potential to be an absolute thriller but it was never to be.

Another chance tonight with Man City at Barca. Like Arsenal were, they're 2-0 down from the first leg so they'll need everyone to be on their game tonight, at the back and upfront, so hopefully we'll get an entertaining match. :great:

Here are my predictions.
Barcelona 2 - 1 Man City
PSG 3 - 0 Leverkusen

Shales

Just goes to show the gap between Arsenal and the "Top" European clubs. I am fine with being knocked out. I know all clubs want to win it but Arsenal can't expect to win the european cup when we don't win our own domestic league. 2nd round/Quarters is probably the correct level of expection for Arsenal. Taking positives, we didn't get battered, so no need for us to drop our heads. We can now crack on in the league and FA Cup ; ). Winning the FA and closing the gap on the title winners is a postive step for Arsenal. Hopefully the seasons where we are 15-20 points off top are over. Lets grab ourselves a "Top" striker in the summer and then have a better crack next year.

Interesting to see City's response having been knocked out of the FA by Wigan. Barca needing to respond having lost on the weekend too. Barca should still be too strong.