FIFA World Cup 2014

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend
Supports: OPE

FIFA World Cup 2014

Post by Seabass » 3 years ago

Awful refereeing display in last night's game. I think a draw would have been a fairer result but to lose it in the way they did, you have to feel bad for Croatia... apart from Pletikosa. Still it was a good game considering it was the opener, hopefully a sign of things to come over the next month. :great:

I'll be supporting England (obviously :-D ) and although I'm excited for the WC, I would say just getting out of the group would be an achievement. Playing on South American soil I think Uruguay will top the group with England or Italy battling it out for 2nd.

I think Germany or Brazil will win it and my outsiders are Ghana and Belgium.

Join me in the Football Forum!

Shales
Supports: Arsenal

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014

Post by Shales » 3 years ago

It's the big one tonight then. And I am talking about the Mexico v Cameroon game at 5pm : )

Always had soft spot for the Roon ever since WC 90. I was 9yrs old and it was the first Big Tourney I remember. Seeing Roon beat the holders on the opening day was crazy. With 9 men too, as they absolutely hacked down the Argies. That foul on Caniggia was ridiculous. He's already rode one serious challenge, lost his boot and stumbled into another flying challenge which sent him up in the air.

But in all honesty, I can't see Roon getting anything out the group. Unless they have a 62yr old Roger Milla on the bench.
XBL: SKULLxBURGER
PSN: SKULL_BURGER
Twitter (I only tweet about PES): PES_DNA

itstroff
Regular
Regular

Post by itstroff » 3 years ago

Looking a bit listless at the back at the moment despite there being 5 of them

Shales

Roon were junk. Didn't expect much but the there only hope was hitting it to etoo and they didn't have the accuracy to do that.

Still, I fancy them to take all 3 from Brazil ; )

Shales

Loving me some Joel Campbell right now :great: does he have a future at Arsenal? Who knows but if he keeps this going then we'll get a good price for him. He's like a black podolski they way he strikes the ball.

Loving the World Cup so far. The only game I haven't watched live was the chile Australia game last night, and that was a great game too.

Hopefully England don't now ruined it.

itstroff
Regular
Regular

Eight games in now and not a dud among them...hopefully the rest of the tournament will be as open.

Result aside I thought England did well last night and arguably deserved a point. Italy were very good though and England were obviously a lot better going forward than defending. It's a shame the game kind of died off after 70 minutes as we may have got back into it. We looked good enough to get out of the group without too much trouble but I'd be more concerned if Costa Rica hadn't done us a favour.

Did anyone see Neil Lennon talking about Samaras after the Columbia match? Made me chuckle...disappointed and really laying into him like he was still his boss.

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

Shales wrote:Loving me some Joel Campbell right now
From what I've seen of him, he looks like an incredible prospect. I'd love to see him play for Arsenal next season, I actually saw on Twitter that said Wenger will take use him for pre season. No pressure on the lad but he looks like he'd do well in the Premier League.
itstroff wrote:Did anyone see Neil Lennon talking about Samaras after the Columbia match? Made me chuckle...disappointed and really laying into him like he was still his boss.
I didn't. But that totally doesn't surprise me! :-D

Just watching Argentina - Bosnia now. Messi and co 1-0 up after just a few minutes via an unlucky own goal. Bosnia have settled since but I can't see them getting anything from Argentina. Their front line of Aguero, Messi and Di Maria is just plain ridiculous!

itstroff
Regular
Regular

Argentina did just enough but never really got going. They looked marginally better after they dropped the back 5 but still not overly convincing. Be interesting if Messi kicks on now after that goal...get the impression the expectation was weighing him down after the first half.

Jonathan Pearce well and truly made a prat of himself during the France match, though to be fair flashing up "No Goal" first for a goal that's just been given is a bit daft.

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

Messi with his trademark goal and run, so amazing to watch. :-)
itstroff wrote:Jonathan Pearce well and truly made a prat of himself during the France match, though to be fair flashing up "No Goal" first for a goal that's just been given is a bit daft.
I didn't understand the confusion. The debate was always about the second goal. Now we have the technology, it's crazy that some people still don't believe it actually crossed the line! :/

Pete Evo
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain
Supports: Leyton Orient

Post by Pete Evo » 3 years ago

So there we have it, Iran and Nigeria with the first borefest of the tournament. I suppose we were due one eventually though and we've been pretty lucky so far anyway so I haven't got any complaints!

Strangely looking forward to Ghana vs USA actually. Been a fan of the MLS for the last couple of years so will be hoping the US can get something tonight. Watch out for Bradley, Dempsey and Jones! ;)

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

Pete Evo wrote:Been a fan of the MLS for the last couple of years so will be hoping the US can get something tonight. Watch out for Bradley, Dempsey and Jones! ;)
... I hope you had money on them! :-D

Pete Evo
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain
Supports: Leyton Orient

Post by Pete Evo » 3 years ago

I didn't sadly! But I still enjoyed the game, definitely worth staying up for. :great:

Buzzing for tonight's matches, especially Brazil v Mexico. Always a close and exciting match up. It will be also be interesting to see how Belgium (my sweepstake at work ;) ) get on against Algeria.

Shales

Anyone would have thought brazil were going out last night. They will still top the group by beating cameroon, while Mexico have a tougher match against Croatia. At first I wanted brazil to do well in the tourney but after they tried to cheat to get another penalty I now hope you fail.

I see neymar and alves had a trip to the salon for some highlights. Does that mean DP8 is on it's way ; )

itstroff
Regular
Regular

Shales wrote:I see neymar and alves had a trip to the salon for some highlights. Does that mean DP8 is on it's way ; )
That World Cup DLC is already out of date :)

Felt sorry for Algeria, probably scored too early but Belgium couldn't get anything going at all first half. I fancy Belgium's chances against a team willing to attack but it looks like they'll struggle against teams willing to sit back.

Group B is going to be fun, both of Chile's matches are going to be huge

itstroff
Regular
Regular

itstroff wrote:...both of Chile's matches are going to be huge
Or just the one. Brilliant all round performance.