What footy games did you grow up on?

Shales
Supports: Arsenal

What footy games did you grow up on?

Post by Shales » 1 year ago

So Mike just shared an article with me about the "revival" of Dino Dini's late 80's / early 90's game called "Kick Off". It's coming back exclusively to PS4 and Vita. I pretty much suffered a full nostalgic meltdown for a few minutes as this takes me right back to my early video game childhood as this was one of the first games I got into. As much I loved this game, I just can't see it standing the test of time, but I am eager to see it again. Albeit after a slightly jazzed up face-lift.

So I thought I'd share my "childhood" games, and I'd be intrigued to know everyone elses footy game paths.

Emlyn Hughes' International Soccer - Commadore 64 - must have been one of the first footy games that wasn't a birdseye view
Kick off - Amiga
Kick off 2 - Amiga - This had a World Cup edition bolted onto it that let you play a World Cup mode. Absolute classic
Kick Off Player Manager - Amiga - This was the original Kick Off game but you could load your saved game into Kick Off 2 and play. That was crazy back then!
Sensible Soccer - Amiga - I then played these games through to about 95/96. I think they stopped making them after that, as the Amiga was pretty much dead.

Then during the SNES/Megadrive era I started on FIFA 94 (as you do) then when ISS came out on SNES, there was only one game worth playing :-D
XBL: SKULLxBURGER
PSN: SKULL_BURGER
Twitter (I only tweet about PES): PES_DNA

Mike
Founder
Founder
Supports: The Arsenal

Re: What footy games did you grow up on?

Post by Mike » 1 year ago

For anyone who's interested, here's the article: Dino Dini’s Kick Off Revival is coming exclusively to PS4 and PS Vita

Dino Dini's Soccer was my first football game. According to Wikipedia, the game launched in 1994, which would've made me just two/three years old at the time. Whether I played it that early, I'm not so sure, but I can definitely remember playing it with my older brother when I was five.

As the year's past, I found ISS/PES which has been a constant ever since. Although, I did play FIFA quite a lot at one stage. During the summer holidays, I had to go with my dad to his work, where there was a spare PC which, for some bizarre reason, came with a copy of FIFA 99. From what I remember, it was a great game for its time, and given the fact that I was a nine-year old Arsenal fan, just having Dennis Bergkamp on the cover was enough to convince me!

I still can't narrow down my favourite PES title, but a special mention should go to PES 4. That's where the series, for me at least, transformed from something great and into a full-blown obsession! :great:

Image Image Image
✅ 🐦 💟

Shales

So this was Emlyn Hughes' International Soccer

This was the first Konami footy game I played. Recently learnt that this wasn't the from the PES series;

This was my first PES game. I missed out on Goal Storm;

Mike I played played FIFA 99 on the N64 I think. It was totally different from the PC (completely worse) but it was the first game I recall that the pitch got muddy as the game went on.

FIFA 97 on PS1 should get a mention I feel. It was such a rigid game, but the commentary was something else. It was possibly the first console proper footy game (I had Adidas Power Soccer which was terrible) on cd so I could obviously support voice recordings.

It's also hard for me to definitively say which PES I've liked best. I tend to usually feel the current version at the time is the best one, with the odd exception like 2014. If I had to pick is narrow it down though to PES 4 or 5. Not because they were necessarily the best games (although that's the general concensus) but that's the era I had the most fun in PES. It was from the days when all my mates were also so in to it, so we were constantly playing it. Sometimes for like 15hours straight on a Saturday. Also we'd have regular tournaments when ever someone had a "free" house. Oh the days....

Mike
Founder
Founder

You're showing your age there, mate. ;)
Shales wrote:Mike I played played FIFA 99 on the N64 I think. It was totally different from the PC (completely worse) but it was the first game I recall that the pitch got muddy as the game went on.
I can't remember actually. Although I do remember that you could decide how many players the CPU had. Even though I used to annihilate teams 31-0, I rarely got bored with it. :lol:

I've been looking through my old collections and I can't believe I forgot about these two...

Image Image
✅ 🐦 💟

Shales

Remember both them two. A mate had 3 Lions, but I didn't play it much. I recall them having photo like faces on the England players which made them look like car crash victims or something. And you had a cursor target thing when shooting. TIS football was quite good I remember. It was a worthy alternate to PES back then.

Mike
Founder
Founder

Three Lions was hilarious. From the coaches constantly (and I mean constantly!) shouting 'man on', 'down the middle' and 'wing ball' to the way you were able to score simply by slide tackling your opponent's goalkeeper as he's trying to drop-kick it up field! :lol:
✅ 🐦 💟

Walker2o
Regular
Regular
Supports: Celtic FC+Liverpool

Post by Walker2o » 1 year ago

FIFA 99 was the ticket for me into football games. A highlight being my 6 year old self breaking down into tears cause I couldn't defeat my Dad or older cousin. The FIFA games had control up until PES4/5/6 came out and bossed the series. Remembering the roasting I took for calling my created player in PES4/5 (when you could set all the created boot images to 5 to create the Nike Vapor boots) to Totti (my first name is Scott), causing me to be called a potato for the next few days was not fun. 10 year olds are mean.

EDIT: The original FIFA Street should get a mention, but FIFA street 2 was excellent.
PSN: Walker2k7

ukexplicit1984
Regular
Regular

Post by ukexplicit1984 » 1 year ago

Ah I love this..

Ok, well I started as well on Emlyn Hughes International Soccer then from that moved on to Gazzas Superstar Soccer which I vaguely remember transitioning between 3 screens for either goal and the center of the pitch... Also Fighting Soccer/Football on the C64 deserves a mention for existing and having an AWESOME soundtrack!
It was an awful game though...

After that it would have been the Nintendo World Cup where each team had a special shot if you pressed A+B together, always an overhead kick but they did wierd movements, it also had rocks on some of the pitches you could trip over and I believe you could play 4 players on it...

From there, I went to the Mega Drive and that had some AMAZING football games. obviously the original FIFA was there but there was also European Club Soccer which I sunk a ridiculous amount of time into, Ultimate Soccer, Sensible Soccer (naturally, also had the PC version of Sensible World of Soccer and remember guiding Rosenborg to glory!), Striker which was epic, World Cup USA 94 which I spent hours on each time designing my own kits every time I played :) and Premier Manager... And I am sure there was a PELE game too but I remember it being impossible to score!

This was followed by a few PC games, the classic Championship Manager 97/98 (me and my brother took Spurs and Liverpool to the heights, about 20 seasons in on that one!) and probably a FIFA..

Whenever the PS1 came out was when I tried a few others, Actua Soccer being one that sticks in my mind as being relatively good.. Also Addidas Power Soccer for the Predator shots and the odd FIFA game here and there, mainly FIFA 98 Road to World Cup. Then my uncle introduced me to the original ISS Pro Soccer on the PS1 and that was it. Me and my friends played that constantly and I have picked up every single ISS/PES since then from PS1 to PS4, not missed a single one. I remember we absolutely loved ISS 98, it was just incredible, then the first Pro Evolution came out and we could not believe how good it was! So epic! I had a friend who was literally at my house every day after school from the age of 14 to about 17 and all we did was play ISS 98 and the ones that followed from about 4pm til about 11pm!

The only other football game that I can think of we played a bit of was Virtua Striker on the Dreamcast, it was dumb, arcade fun but it was a good laugh and we used to love it in the arcades!

Oh and of course, Libero Grande, which was sort of like a precursor to Be a Pro style modes as you only controlled one player, had to call for the ball and move into good positions etc. It was a lot of fun and you could play two player split screen if I remember correctly. It even had an awesome load of challenges to do which were always good!

And now with all that nostalgia, I really want to go and play some old games :)
PS4 ukexplicit1984 - Add me for PES games :)

Shales

ukexplicit1984 wrote:Ah I love this..

Ok, well I started as well on Emlyn Hughes International Soccer then from that moved on to Gazzas Superstar Soccer which I vaguely remember transitioning between 3 screens for either goal and the center of the pitch... Also Fighting Soccer/Football on the C64 deserves a mention for existing and having an AWESOME soundtrack!
It was an awful game though...

After that it would have been the Nintendo World Cup where each team had a special shot if you pressed A+B together, always an overhead kick but they did wierd movements, it also had rocks on some of the pitches you could trip over and I believe you could play 4 players on it...

From there, I went to the Mega Drive and that had some AMAZING football games. obviously the original FIFA was there but there was also European Club Soccer which I sunk a ridiculous amount of time into, Ultimate Soccer, Sensible Soccer (naturally, also had the PC version of Sensible World of Soccer and remember guiding Rosenborg to glory!), Striker which was epic, World Cup USA 94 which I spent hours on each time designing my own kits every time I played :) and Premier Manager... And I am sure there was a PELE game too but I remember it being impossible to score!

This was followed by a few PC games, the classic Championship Manager 97/98 (me and my brother took Spurs and Liverpool to the heights, about 20 seasons in on that one!) and probably a FIFA..

Whenever the PS1 came out was when I tried a few others, Actua Soccer being one that sticks in my mind as being relatively good.. Also Addidas Power Soccer for the Predator shots and the odd FIFA game here and there, mainly FIFA 98 Road to World Cup. Then my uncle introduced me to the original ISS Pro Soccer on the PS1 and that was it. Me and my friends played that constantly and I have picked up every single ISS/PES since then from PS1 to PS4, not missed a single one. I remember we absolutely loved ISS 98, it was just incredible, then the first Pro Evolution came out and we could not believe how good it was! So epic! I had a friend who was literally at my house every day after school from the age of 14 to about 17 and all we did was play ISS 98 and the ones that followed from about 4pm til about 11pm!

The only other football game that I can think of we played a bit of was Virtua Striker on the Dreamcast, it was dumb, arcade fun but it was a good laugh and we used to love it in the arcades!

Oh and of course, Libero Grande, which was sort of like a precursor to Be a Pro style modes as you only controlled one player, had to call for the ball and move into good positions etc. It was a lot of fun and you could play two player split screen if I remember correctly. It even had an awesome load of challenges to do which were always good!

And now with all that nostalgia, I really want to go and play some old games :)
Ah, some amazing games mentioned here. Glad there is someone else who played Emlyn Hughes' International Soccer. I remember our tape being well tricky to load up. The tape would actually run out and we had to rewind the tape 10 digits on the counter and then then keep trying. It actually worked amazingly, but sometimes took an hours worth of attempts. We would then leave the C64 on for days so we didn't have to go through that again. Ridiculous.

Did you ever play a ridiculously named game called "Peter Shilton's Handball Maradona"? How did that game ever exist?? Glad it did because it was amazing. You were just the keeper and had to just save shots during a match. I remember when the game got more difficult, the ball would travel in crazy directions just to catch you out. Like the shots would start botton right corner, then suddenly pick up movement and head towards top left corner. You just basically had to guess!! Here is a screen shot;

Other C64 footy games I played that are worth a mention are, "Peter Beardsley's Soccer" & "Gary Linekar's". Both were alright but not a patch on the king that was Emlyn Hughes'

I remember that Pele game on Megadrive. And yes it was impossible to score. Me and some mates played it for about 3 hours straight just trying the challenge mode where you ahd to an Overhead Kick. There was even a designated button for Overhead Kicks. Considering the MegaDrive only had 3 buttons that's ridiculous!

And Champ Manager 97/98, what a game. The first Champ man where you could run 3 European Leagues along side each other. That was my GCSE year which absolutely ruined me. But if I could go back, I'd do it all again!

Great games......great years.

ukexplicit1984
Regular
Regular

Post by ukexplicit1984 » 1 year ago

I was aware of the Peter Shilton game but never actually played it I am afraid, though it sounds pretty damn crazy! But I remember the C64 tape issues well!

I had forgotten there was an overhead kick button in Peles game lol that is actually ridiculous! It does make me want to go back to it though and give it another go! I may add that to the retro gaming nights next time I have one! Though I think I would rather add European Club Soccer to the list, it really is an awesome game if you have never played it! Or at least I remember it being awesome!
PS4 ukexplicit1984 - Add me for PES games :)

itstroff
Regular
Regular

Post by itstroff » 1 year ago

I saw something about the new Kick Off game the other day too and glad I'm not the only one feeling properly nostalgic...it was the first game I bought for my Amiga after all. I must have played it for weeks before I even scored...just changing direction when dribbling was hard enough. Can still remember my first goal, ran straight from the kick off avoiding one tackle, shot wide and curled it towards the near post. Remember the wind and pitch settings too? Few different wind strengths and the pitches went from dry to 'soggy' I think with plastic pitches catered for too. Even looking at the box art now makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

After Kick Off I had a vertically scrolling Liverpool game which I couldn't get into and then John Barnes European Football which was basically Man Utd Europe re branded. Looking back at it now the graphics were really good for it's day.

Sensi swallowed up a huge chunk of my life after that. I loved Striker as well but it didn't get a look in once SWOS and the first FIFA came out.

I must have got a PC in 95 as I had Actua Soccer but then I was completely blown away by FIFA 96 in all it's SVGA glory. It was always FIFA round mine and ISS round my mates. I had FIFA 97 and 98 (was it 97 with the indoor mode?), then I think the World Cup 98 game I only borrowed and didn't bother with any after that as it felt like buying the same game again.

I couldn't find Libero Grande anywhere despite reading loads about it in magazines and though I'd love it. Eventually managed to borrow it off a friend, who in turn had it on loan from his cousin, so I only had it for a few days. Don't think I gave it enough time though and never ended up getting it myself.

My mate got Three Lions which we played like twice as the whole shooting mechanism was just horrible. Michael Owens World League Soccer was the game of choice with us for a little while after that. That had manual controls which made it a fun two player game, especially seeing who could score from the tightest angle.

I gave FIFA '01 a try but I didn't last long with it. Wasn't until after a gig I stayed at my mate's older brothers uni digs when someone offered me a game of PES2. I can remember they sold it to me saying that there's a big emphasis on tackling and individuality.

I was going to mention Champ Man, but I'm 8 years clean and even now feel like I could relapse :) Though special mentions should go to Soccer Kid and the ultra violent, futuristic shrovetide football simulator Speedball.

Shales

itstroff wrote:I saw something about the new Kick Off game the other day too and glad I'm not the only one feeling properly nostalgic...it was the first game I bought for my Amiga after all. I must have played it for weeks before I even scored...just changing direction when dribbling was hard enough. Can still remember my first goal, ran straight from the kick off avoiding one tackle, shot wide and curled it towards the near post. Remember the wind and pitch settings too? Few different wind strengths and the pitches went from dry to 'soggy' I think with plastic pitches catered for too. Even looking at the box art now makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

After Kick Off I had a vertically scrolling Liverpool game which I couldn't get into and then John Barnes European Football which was basically Man Utd Europe re branded. Looking back at it now the graphics were really good for it's day.

Sensi swallowed up a huge chunk of my life after that. I loved Striker as well but it didn't get a look in once SWOS and the first FIFA came out.

I must have got a PC in 95 as I had Actua Soccer but then I was completely blown away by FIFA 96 in all it's SVGA glory. It was always FIFA round mine and ISS round my mates. I had FIFA 97 and 98 (was it 97 with the indoor mode?), then I think the World Cup 98 game I only borrowed and didn't bother with any after that as it felt like buying the same game again.

I couldn't find Libero Grande anywhere despite reading loads about it in magazines and though I'd love it. Eventually managed to borrow it off a friend, who in turn had it on loan from his cousin, so I only had it for a few days. Don't think I gave it enough time though and never ended up getting it myself.

My mate got Three Lions which we played like twice as the whole shooting mechanism was just horrible. Michael Owens World League Soccer was the game of choice with us for a little while after that. That had manual controls which made it a fun two player game, especially seeing who could score from the tightest angle.

I gave FIFA '01 a try but I didn't last long with it. Wasn't until after a gig I stayed at my mate's older brothers uni digs when someone offered me a game of PES2. I can remember they sold it to me saying that there's a big emphasis on tackling and individuality.

I was going to mention Champ Man, but I'm 8 years clean and even now feel like I could relapse :) Though special mentions should go to Soccer Kid and the ultra violent, futuristic shrovetide football simulator Speedball.
So much to reference in these posts....

Yeah I remember the wind and the different pitched on Kick Off 2. I think my older brother (who was the reason I had all this as a kid) had a pitches expansion disc, which added a few more surafces. I remember a "wembley" pitch and also a "bumpy" pitch which made the ball often bounce in different direcetions. Come to think of it, wasn't there like an updated version of Kick Off 2 that came out? I don't mean the follow up which was called "Goal", but I remember a Kick Off 2 version that added overhead kicks. Like I mentioned in my origianl post, me and brother played the "Kick Off Player Manager" game and then imported our teams into Kick Off 2.

I played Manchester Utd In Europe quite a bit, but I remember editing all the names in the Utd squad to Arsenal players before playing (standard). Yeah John Barnes was a rebranded M.U.I.E game and kind of remembering it being an unofficial Euro 92 game. I can remember you could hit some ridiculous volleys at times.

ukexplicit1984 - I personally didn't have a Megadrive but I was aware of Euro Club Soccer. I think it was basically the MegaDrive verison of Manchester United in Europe, well it had the exact same look/style to it. Much like Dino Dini's Soccer was the Kick Off MegaDrive equivalent.

There was another footy game on the amiga which me and a mate played a fair bit. It was called something like Euro Championship, or something like that. I am going to have to find it!!

I must admit, I was never familiar with Libero Grande. I have just googled it and it looks like it would have been a classic. It must have never come up amongst me and my group of friends.

itstroff
Regular
Regular

I just had the basic Kick Off 2 and you could do overheads in that. You could even pull in the opposite direction to do like a looping clearance, or press the button to hit it lower.

Gamesmaster had a best goals competition if I can remember rightly...I might do some digging.

itstroff
Regular
Regular

[youtube]
"#t=10m50s[/youtube]

10 minutes 50 seconds in...I love the internet :)

Shales

itstroff wrote:[youtube]
"#t=10m50s[/youtube]

10 minutes 50 seconds in...I love the internet :)
Haha, those keepers that could dive the width of the pitch.... I thought the 2nd goal was the better one.

I've dug around and it's all come back to me now. You must have had the Final Whistle version of Kick Off 2. Checks these notes on the this pic;