📢 Important announcement: Please go here for more information.

Playing Defense

juice
Warming Up
Warming Up

Playing Defense

Post by juice » 7 years ago

What is the trick to playing defense? It seems a lot of guys i play online apply heavy pressure a lot. They are able to harrass my player with the ball and when i try to pass, they deflect it. Very frustrating.

Mike
Founder
Founder
Supports: The Arsenal

Re: Playing Defense

Post by Mike » 7 years ago

Try using the new defending options. Head into the Performance Training menu and practice your skills.

And a hint of advice: the double-tap tackle option is very useful once you get to grips with it. ;)
✅ 🐦 💟

Cashis
Amateur
Amateur
Supports: Chesterfield

Post by Cashis » 7 years ago

It depends on your style really. I personally hold the shoot button throughout most of the game to make the nearest man pressure and I manually control a player further back to plug any holes I see appearing in my defence/midfield. My friend likes controlling one player only though so he rarely uses an extra man to pressure.

juice
Warming Up
Warming Up

Post by juice » 7 years ago

I've tried using the teammate pressure and it has seemed to help. Have you noticed that all of your players get tired more quickly, or is it just me?

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend
Supports: OPE

Post by Seabass » 7 years ago

juice wrote:I've tried using the teammate pressure and it has seemed to help. Have you noticed that all of your players get tired more quickly, or is it just me?
If you constantly use teammate pressure, yes, you're right. Really bad (and boring in my opinion) way of tackling. ;)
Join me in the Football Forum!

Cashis
Amateur
Amateur

Do you look for.. exciting ways to tackle? As long as you're winning the ball back that's all that matters really.

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

Well, I don't take the easy way out and let the CPU do all the tackling for me. I'm not a pressure whore - I hate playing against these guys online.

The foul and foul and foul but because it's the CPU tackling, they never get booked. Pretty much abusing the game's flaws (like most peeps online). :oops:

Cashis
Amateur
Amateur

Like you say, everyone abuses the game's flaws so to not do it yourself if it provides you with an advantage is nonsensical.

I would recommend that you work on your set pieces if they're constantly fouling you. Take advantage.

Seabass
Club Legend
Club Legend

Cashis wrote:Like you say, everyone abuses the game's flaws so to not do it yourself if it provides you with an advantage is nonsensical.

I would recommend that you work on your set pieces if they're constantly fouling you. Take advantage.
Call me old fashioned but I don't like to do that with PES. I don't mind people doing it sometimes, but it really grinds me to see them doing it all the time. One dimensional players, like the people on PES 2010 who just used to hog with Messi - and that was it, that was all they had.

I play PES to have fun - and even though I want to win, I want my opponent to have fun with it too. ;)

Can understand where you are coming from though! :P

Evolution7
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Evolution7 » 7 years ago

Exactly,

it's so much more fun if you use patient defending.. just use the r2 button or wait till the right moment to tackle or use the double x tap.
Using the pressure buttons whole time is just silly and unrealistic imo :)

onebelo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by onebelo » 7 years ago

im a bit of a pressure slut, thats because i find if you are good at (which takes skill) then its generally the best way to defend in this game. it is also challenging because you really have to time your pressure, when to press, when to just tap it so your defender is shielding and wont get wrong footed, fast cursor changing to press with one while you plug holes with another... it takes some fast fingers to get all that right and if you mess up/go overboard with the pressure you will get exposed.

i do feel a bit cheap doing it though because it shouldnt be allowed, but because of a lack of any good stamina system you can do it the whole game. well at least, thats how it was on the demos, i havent actually tested the stamina for the full game yet.. in the demos stamina/fatigue was only really based on minutes on pitch and form, so if you dont press or do press the whole game it would make no difference to stamina

Cashis
Amateur
Amateur

onebelo wrote:im a bit of a pressure slut, thats because i find if you are good at (which takes skill) then its generally the best way to defend in this game. it is also challenging because you really have to time your pressure, when to press, when to just tap it so your defender is shielding and wont get wrong footed, fast cursor changing to press with one while you plug holes with another... it takes some fast fingers to get all that right and if you mess up/go overboard with the pressure you will get exposed.

i do feel a bit cheap doing it though because it shouldnt be allowed, but because of a lack of any good stamina system you can do it the whole game. well at least, thats how it was on the demos, i havent actually tested the stamina for the full game yet.. in the demos stamina/fatigue was only really based on minutes on pitch and form, so if you dont press or do press the whole game it would make no difference to stamina
Exactly, sorry but I can't accept that it takes no skill. Your pressuring man rarely gets a tackle in anyway. I mix in pressuring with an extra man, slide tackles, double tap A tackles and super cancelling to defend successfully and to be honest, if I'm playing a bell end who already has Messi, Ronaldo etc. on ML Online and I beat him using this system then I don't feel guilty one bit. I have lots of fun using this system and I also have other methods to score that don't revolve around spamming through balls like 99% of the PES population.

shyheim
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shyheim » 7 years ago

Pressing R2 and circle is CPU automated and takes no skill at all. I use R2 to shield and double tap of x and defending is more manual where you actually do it. I only use R2 and circle against a speed merchant

BadBrownBear
Amateur
Amateur
Supports: Bradford City

Post by BadBrownBear » 7 years ago

I only use com pressure when I know he/she is going to play the ball to ronaldo messi etc. same time I use my player to track the run. blocking any potential pass. I think that's what u guys are talking about. sorry I'm a newbie to Pes.

if on the other hand the opp is applying pressure don't worry he'll be leaving gaps. switch play if you can. find the gaps and exploit.

Cashis
Amateur
Amateur

shyheim wrote:Pressing R2 and circle is CPU automated and takes no skill at all. I use R2 to shield and double tap of x and defending is more manual where you actually do it. I only use R2 and circle against a speed merchant
Absolute bollocks, you have to manually mark any runners that might be coming through as well which is a lot harder than making a tackle. I find tackling very easy but I like to play deep and manually mark opposition forwards.

Such a simple view, 'using the CPU to pressure is so cheap!11!'