📢 Important announcement: Please go here for more information.

Off The Pitch Review

tigerwalms
Captain
Captain
Supports: Sunderland

Off The Pitch Review

Post by tigerwalms » 4 years ago

Just some thoughts on the other parts of the game. I won't go into gameplay (offline or online).

Menus - Visually I think the main menu is pretty good. Having real pictures for each mode was the correct choice. Also, I really like the ability to tag your favourite modes to the front page so technically once setup you should never have to leave that page, nice. Except the exit button being on a different menu and uneasy to reach, that's annoying. However, the functionality of the menus is a different story, the time required to go from menu to menu and mode then back etc is unacceptable. Also, once away from the main menu all the other in game menus are like they have been for years, very dated and basically just a bit naff. So a mixed bag with the menus.

Soundtrack - Very good, I would class this as sorted. Whether the music is to your tastes or not is irrelevant, they are the type of songs that should be on a game like this - catchy, mainstream and recent(ish).

Commentary - Pretty woeful. Poor script, bad delivery, disjointed flow. Not really much to say here, we all knew this would be the case and I'd imagine we're all in agreement that this needs a lot of work.

Edit Mode - Think we all know the answer to this one.

Online - Awful. They're still stuck in the 90's with their archaic match rooms, selecting servers etc. This shouldn't be viewable to the user, all this should be happening in the background. You should simply hit 'play match' and it should automatically (and quickly) match you with someone with the best possible connection/location/server/ping etc etc. I can't stress enough how prehistoric this whole method is, it just isn't acceptable in 2014. Also, 'Establishing communications', do I need to say more? ;)

So to sum up there's some improvements but not anywhere near enough, an awful lot of work needed.

Only Pro Evolutions H2H Champion 2014/2015
Only Pro Evolutions H2H Champion 2013/2014
Only Pro Evolutions Classic Champion 2013/2014

ukexplicit1984
Regular
Regular

Re: Off The Pitch Review

Post by ukexplicit1984 » 4 years ago

tigerwalms wrote: Commentary - Pretty woeful. Poor script, bad delivery, disjointed flow. Not really much to say here, we all knew this would be the case and I'd imagine we're all in agreement that this needs a lot of work.
Just do what I did and put it into Portugese almost immediately. I don't understand a word and it sounds a lot better!
PS4 ukexplicit1984 - Add me for PES games :)

Shales
Supports: Arsenal

Post by Shales » 4 years ago

ukexplicit1984 wrote:
tigerwalms wrote: Commentary - Pretty woeful. Poor script, bad delivery, disjointed flow. Not really much to say here, we all knew this would be the case and I'd imagine we're all in agreement that this needs a lot of work.
Just do what I did and put it into Portugese almost immediately. I don't understand a word and it sounds a lot better!
Come on now, Champs and Begs have a few new lines this year! :P

Like the one "I bet he wishes he plays against defences as charitable as this every week" I haven't heard that 100 times at all yet. :lol:
XBL: SKULLxBURGER
PSN: SKULL_BURGER
Twitter (I only tweet about PES): PES_DNA

carlboy
Reserve
Reserve

Post by carlboy » 4 years ago

Shales wrote:
ukexplicit1984 wrote:
Come on now, Champs and Begs have a few new lines this year! :P

Like the one "I bet he wishes he plays against defences as charitable as this every week" I haven't heard that 100 times at all yet. :lol:
"He's a-judged to be offside ". What what & toodely pip Mr Champion, what what what.
xbox 360 - CARLBOY1975

Superballs
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Superballs » 4 years ago

I'm happy not to have heard "He's just not living up to his potential".

Do they have commentary in different languages? I'd love some over the top Spanish or Italian commentary

ukexplicit1984
Regular
Regular

Post by ukexplicit1984 » 4 years ago

Superballs wrote:I'm happy not to have heard "He's just not living up to his potential".

Do they have commentary in different languages? I'd love some over the top Spanish or Italian commentary
Yes they do, I believe Spanish, Italian, German, Portugese and possibly a couple of others are in there..
PS4 ukexplicit1984 - Add me for PES games :)

RyantheTiger
Beginner
Beginner

Post by RyantheTiger » 4 years ago

The commentary has always been laughably poor. I don't understand why though, as with most of PESs faults. Why do they recycle the same phrases game after game and just add the odd new one? Why is it every version of PES has a new commentary obsession. In 2009 it was crockery, this year it's the fact I haven't made a sub yet. Considering they only say about 10 different things, 5 of them being the exact same point just worded slightly differently is ridiculous.

Agree about the online and menus, it feels like I have to learn where everything is and which bits I need to bother with even though I'm a PES veteran. I went on myClub like once and I can't be bothered to go on it again just cos it was so confusing. Why should I have to watch a tutorial and then spend time getting used to it. What's the benefit to all this?

I'm gonna mention game plan again. Why do they change good things and keep the terrible stuff. Does anyone use those bloody 'one-touch settings'?! But of course they kept them in. Yet the fatigue bar seems to be gone from game plan completely, but it keeps warning me not to play people after an international. That's great but can I see how fatigued they are please?

I keep getting players sent off for a second yellow because I don't know they've got it. I'm sure someone will tell me there's a small marker somewhere at the bottom of the screen but I'm not looking down there while the games on. On 2013 a booked player's name was bright yellow. If his name's on top of his head I'm gonna notice it. How can it possibly be beneficial to remove that feature? I just don't get how anyone at Konami can think that's a good idea. They must spend like half their development time taking out good features.

All small things but they do my head in. The gameplay is wonderful, but all these little heuristics just make it harder to really get into and play for a long time.

itstroff
Regular
Regular

Post by itstroff » 4 years ago

RyantheTiger wrote:I keep getting players sent off for a second yellow because I don't know they've got it. I'm sure someone will tell me there's a small marker somewhere at the bottom of the screen but I'm not looking down there while the games on. On 2013 a booked player's name was bright yellow. If his name's on top of his head I'm gonna notice it. How can it possibly be beneficial to remove that feature? I just don't get how anyone at Konami can think that's a good idea. They must spend like half their development time taking out good features.
This kind of stuff baffles me. They've obviously made a decision to remove it but surely in all the testing that must have been done, someone must have mentioned it?

Marshall2000_uk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Marshall2000_uk » 4 years ago

itstroff wrote:
RyantheTiger wrote:I keep getting players sent off for a second yellow because I don't know they've got it. I'm sure someone will tell me there's a small marker somewhere at the bottom of the screen but I'm not looking down there while the games on. On 2013 a booked player's name was bright yellow. If his name's on top of his head I'm gonna notice it. How can it possibly be beneficial to remove that feature? I just don't get how anyone at Konami can think that's a good idea. They must spend like half their development time taking out good features.
This kind of stuff baffles me. They've obviously made a decision to remove it but surely in all the testing that must have been done, someone must have mentioned it?
I really hope they patch this, it's really annoying